Robert von Hallberg studies comparative poetry and poetics. His areas of interest include early literary modernism (1909-1925) in London, New York, Berlin, and Munich; Ezra Pound; postwar American poetry; and East German writing (1975-89). He is co-editor of the journal Modernism/Modernity, published by Johns Hopkins. Professor von Hallberg is currently writing a book on African-American poetry.
- Charles Olson: The Scholar's Art. Harvard University Press, 1978.
- Canons. University of Chicago Press, 1984. Editor.
- American Poetry and Culture, 1945-1980. Harvard University Press, 1985.
- Politics and Poetic Value. University of Chicago Press, 1987. Editor.
- Poetry, Politics, and Intellectuals: A History of American Poetry, 1945-1995. Volume 8 of the new Cambridge History of American Literature.
- Literary Intellectuals and the Dissolution of the State: Professionalism and Conformity in the GDR. Translated by Kenneth J. Northcott. University of Chicago Press, 1996. Editor.